Support WVIA

vehicle donation program

Members support WVIA many different ways, and one way is through our vehicle donation program. That's right, you can turn your unwanted car, boat, motorcycle or RV into support for the programming you enjoy on WVIA. Simply call Vehicles for Charity at 877-308-2408 and they'll do the rest!

Vehicles for Charity arranges for your vehicle to be picked up, takes care of the title transfer, and provides you with a tax receipt. It's that simple.

When you make a donation your vehicle is resold at an auto auction, and the proceeds go to WVIA.
To donate a car or for more information, call:
Vehicles for Charity


What can I donate?
WVIA accepts cars, trucks and recreational vehicles. When you make an automobile donation your vehicle is resold at auction and the proceeds of the sale go to WVIA. Most vehicles are accepted except those that are heavily damaged or incomplete. The WVIA Car Donation program accepts automobile donations anywhere in our listening or viewing area.

How do I donate a car?
Call 877-308-2408 to make your donation.

    Have ready:

    • the title to your car
    • location of your car
    • general condition of your car

This information assists the tow company in scheduling appropriate towing arrangements.

My car does not run. Can I still donate it?
The location and the condition of your car determine whether it can be accepted for resale.  Call to find out.

Will you pick up my car?

WVIA will send a tow truck to pick up your vehicle.

The driver will need:

    • the car keys

    • the title to your car

    • your signature authorizing the tow

A tow receipt will be given to you by the driver—verifying that your vehicle was received on behalf of WVIA.

Are car donations tax-deductible?

Your donation may qualify as a charitable deduction on your federal income tax return because WVIA  is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The new tax law allows a deduction equal to the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle. You will receive a letter notifying you of the gross sale amount within 30 days of the sale of your vehicle.

For additional information, please consult your tax advisor or click here for IRS information,,id=131660,00.html.

For access to IRS Form 8283 for your tax return, please click IRS Forms Site. You will be required to enclose a copy of the gross sale letter we will provide.

  • How is the value of my car determined?

The IRS allows you to take a charitable tax deduction on your federal income tax form equal to the amount the vehicle sells for at auction unless it sells for less than $500. If your vehicle sells for less than $500 you may deduct no more than $500. If your donation is worth more than $500, you should fill out IRS Form 8283 “Noncash Charitable Contributions.” Please consult your tax advisor if you have questions about your deduction.

Take a look at these free publications: